Grab those Nike power laces and your hoverboard, this blog’s about to go 88mph back to the future of sourcing. There’s no hiding from it—we live in a society where today’s technologies are tomorrow’s artifacts. We are spoiled by technology that is meant to make our lives easier but inherently makes us disconnected from interpersonal communication. Gone are the days of needles in the haystack, purple squirrels, and cold calls. The future of sourcing is all about genuine relationships, honest networking, and full engagement. Here are some tips and tricks to become a more proactive and efficient sourcer in a world that is rapidly changing. (Spoiler alert, Marty McFly: They might not be what you think!)
- Be Engaged: Engagement is the word of the year, and I’m not talkin’ carats. (Although, if my future husband is reading this, here’s a hint: 1 carat princess cut pave.) Back to the topic. There are countless articles teaching readers how to be more engaged in both their work and personal lives. I’ve even read The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal to learn more about this popular topic only to find that I was certainly not as engaged as I had thought. Think about investing your energy rather than your time. After all, your time is worthless if you’re not giving it your full attention. So drink that Vitamin C, get off your smartphone, and devote your full attention to your candidate!
- Know Your Brand. Be Your Brand: Are you considered an “All-Star Recruiter” via LinkedIn? So is the guy to your left. And the one to the right. In a world where a million recruiters are flooding the inboxes of candidates with stereotypical messages, how do you stand out? What’s your Unique Selling Proposition? Remember that you’re representing your company and that you’re an extension of its brand, an embodiment if you will. This one probably sounds like a given, but too many recruiters come across as phony or robotic and it’s important to distance yourself from that stigma and be authentic and genuine. Seriously. Take mom’s advice and just be yourself.
- Value Quality > Quantity: Anyone can tell you that it’s in your long-term interest to reach out to 10 dream candidates rather than 100 so-so’s whose resumes contain one measly keyword of your search. However, many recruiters find themselves disregarding this practice simply because it’s easier and they want to yield high numbers. Use your time wisely and harbor sincere interactions with stellar candidates. You’ll be thanking yourself when the next job order comes in and you already have an A+ pool to choose from.
- Build Relationships: How many quality candidates have you sourced today? Big deal. This week? Zzz. Can you list their names? All of them? Probably not. Make your candidates feel valuable—don’t treat them like another billable to fill a position. Think about how you would want to be treated. You should be having consistent, responsive interactions with candidates that help you climb that relational ladder. Be open and transparent throughout the process—take the time to get to know each candidate and their personality. This will help you tremendously in finding the right fit for both your candidate and client. Also, be sure to follow up with each candidate!
- Keep Up with Technology (1.21 Gigawatts!): While in the beginning I mentioned being spoiled by technology, I didn’t mean throw it away altogether! Find your perfect balance of using today’s best sources to build genuine relationships. The technology world as we know it is changing rapidly—how will you adapt? As we have learned from the dinosaurs, you either evolve or you are reduced to only being a three year old’s birthday party theme. It doesn’t take a DeLorean to stay current with sourcing strategies, technologies, and best practices. All you have to do is stay active by consistent training and searching for invaluable information. Spend a little bit of time each with with a cup of coffee and a couple sourcing blogs & articles. Trust me, a little goes a long way. Find something good? Be sure to share it with your team! You’ll actually be saving time in the long run AND you’ll be well ahead of the game.
The CBI Way blog series explores the tools and practices used in Talent Acquisition. CBI Way is CBI Group’s recruiting approach and methodology – it’s how we do what we do! Check in with CBI Way for insights around workforce education and training, the latest trends in recruiting technology, and how to best utilize these tools towards improving your own recruiting practices.